Sunday, August 15, 2010

Project, Day Two

Second session working on this project.  Chris and Cliff were already working at the forges when I got there, so I didn't have to start off.  Really nice guys - they gave me a few tips on working with the longer pieces I' using, as well as a tip on a cheaper place to get metal.

For reference, here are a piece before doing any work on it.  I'm working with 40" pieces of cold rolled 1018 steel.  I meant to get hot rolled, but missed slightly.


Here is a piece in the forge:


And here is a partially done piece, next to an original.  This is the first of my test pieces, where I try to learn how to get the larger curves I'm targeting.  So far the curve on this one is excellent, but I'm using too many heats and scaling the piece badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment