Thursday, August 26, 2010

Project, Day Four

A quick session after work.  Most of this session was spent on completing an earlier project, the candle holder from the continuing techniques class.  I had to close the bands around it using the torch, rather than the forge, to heat the metal.

I got it done, but with some issues.  One of the more difficult parts of this part of the project is getting the four scrolls at the right height versus the core, with clamps attached to hold them together while you close the bands.  I finally had it adjusted about right, then went to work with the torch, but working with the torch and the big clamp must have shifted my scrolls as two of them are badly out of place and the whole thing is quite wobbly.  As usual, my downfall is lack of patience.  I should have taken the time to checked and adjusted as I worked with the torch.



On the other project, I decided to clip off the end of my test piece, since it is coming in shorter than I expected.  After that I did a little bending of the end, but it wasn't working well.  I'm rethinking my approach to that end and will give it a try the next time I'm at the forge, probably next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment