Thursday, August 26, 2010

Project, Day Five

Two things done today.

First, I continued the back bend of the first test piece.  A little more success in seeing how it could work.  The results don't look good, but I got the feel of it and think I can do a more controlled bend on future pieces.

Second, I played around with using a scrolling jig, a tool to make the bends more repeatable.  This worked out well, with a few problems I've got to solve.  Getting a first bend seems very difficult.  I was doing the clamping by hand, with a pair of large pliers, and it was very difficult to hold the piece tight enough to turn it and make the initial bends.  Next time I try it, I will try a few different things or move to a more fixed clamp.

You can compare the hand curved piece (on the left) with the one made with the scrolling jig (on the right).  You can see that the initial curve on the right piece is a little messed up, but the curves are very smooth after that.  You can also see the results of the back bend on the hand piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment